COVID-19 Classroom Rules and Recommendations
As the Winter 2022 Semester begins, updated classroom COVID-19 rules are being instituted and designed as we experience an increase of COVID-19 cases to prevent and slow the spread of the virus. The following information adheres to guidance from the State of Hawaii, City and County of Honolulu, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and the university to help protect you and those around you. Currently, the COVID-19 omicron variant cases are increasing in our community; these rules are in place to reduce your risk of exposure to the virus as well as limit the spread of the virus on campus.
Every student and instructor must comply with the following rules:
Face Coverings and Masks
- We follow the state face coverings/masks mandate in classrooms in which face masks are to be worn and not removed while in the classroom where social distancing cannot be maintained.
- It is recommended that instructors wear N95 masks under a cloth mask.
- Instructors may remove their face mask to provide instruction if they can maintain social distancing of 10 feet from students.
Classroom Sanitation and Disinfection
- Hand sanitizers and cleaning supplies will be available in each classroom.
- Contact Campus Property Services at (808) 675-4935 if you need supplies.
- Do not enter the classroom if you are feeling ill or are presenting any symptoms of COVID-19 (fever, cough, trouble breathing, loss of taste/smell, etc.).
- Students, inform your instructor if you feel ill and contact Health Services at (808) 675-3510.
- Instructors, inform your dean if you are feeling ill.
- Individuals who test positive or show symptoms, regardless of vaccination status, are required to isolate for five days (per the CDC). No one else within the classroom will be required to quarantine as a close contact. However, these individuals will need to monitor their symptoms, test on the fifth day following their last day of contact with the person who tested positive, and wear a mask when around others for 10 days.
- Campus Property Services ensures that hand sanitizers are available in each classroom.
If you do not comply with these rules, you may be asked to leave the class and/or report to the Office of Honor. Ignoring these rules puts not only your health at risk but that of your classmates and instructors.